Frequently asked questions
In order for our system to submit insurance claims under the correct name, every client on Headway will need their own account, with a unique email address. The name and date of birth associated with both the Headway account and the insurance information should be those of the client seeking care, even if the client is a minor.
When you are logged into your account, you can make sure your account is all set by clicking on your initials in the top right corner and navigating to Account in the dropdown menu. If you are unable to log into your account, please refer to our article on account access and password issues.
There are 3 important pieces of information that Headway requires in your account before you can see a provider. For more information on each step, please find our article on Getting started with Headway.
Payment method Insurance information Acknowledgment of our standard forms
This is outside of any additional forms that your specific provider may ask you to fill out for their own records.
If you’re a client joining Headway, you’ll need to complete the standard forms acknowledgement in your account in order for your provider to bill your insurance for services. The forms allow Headway to submit claims to your insurance provider on your behalf. If you need help completing the forms, please see below for instructions:
- You’ve received an email from Headway titled: “Getting ready to see [your provider’s name] with Headway.” If you have not received this email, please contact your provider to ensure that they have your correct email address in their system and have sent you a welcome email. Ask them to re-send you the email if you have not received it.
- Within this email from us, please click the green “View Your Account” button.
- Your browser will open a separate tab, where you will be prompted to create an account or sign into Headway.co.
- Once you’ve signed up or logged in, you can acknowledge our standard forms from your home page by clicking “Agree to Form” underneath the “Forms” header. There are two forms to acknowledge: Acknowledgement of Receipt of Notice of Privacy Practices and Assignment of Benefits / Financial Responsibility.
- Please ensure that you’ve agreed to both forms: Acknowledgement of Receipt of Notice of Privacy Practices and Assignment of Benefits / Financial Responsibility.
- While you’re in your account, please also review the rest of your account and make sure that your insurance and payment information are correct.
- You’re all set to go!
You receive an emailed invoice and a charge to the payment method on file once your provider confirms, through their Headway account, that a session has occurred. While we strongly encourage our providers to confirm sessions within 48 hours of the appointment taking place, this does not always happen.
If you have received multiple charges/invoices on the same day, it is likely because your provider confirmed some of your past sessions in bulk. The subject line of each emailed invoice will include the corresponding date of service so you can always check to see what sessions you are being charged for. Additionally, you can go into your Headway account and click on your initials in the top-right corner. From there, you can click on Appointments and you’ll have access to all upcoming appointments and all past appointments that you have been charged for. Here is a helpful article on how costs are determined.
If you’d like, we are happy to get in contact with your provider directly to remind them to confirm appointments in a timely manner. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us via our contact form.
Each provider on Headway sets their own cancellation policy for their practice — it isn't determined by Headway. You received this charge because you canceled an appointment within your provider’s predetermined cancellation window. This cancellation window is communicated at the time of booking, as well as in appointment reminder emails.
Because no session took place, we cannot submit this charge through your insurance for reimbursement, so you are responsible for the entire fee. Providers may charge the full session rate for a "no show" — i.e. if you miss your appointment without communicating.
Things happen! If you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment, you can do so in the Appointments section of your account.
Prior to your appointment, you may be charged a fee to compensate your therapist for their time. Each therapist has their own cancellation policy. You can find your therapists’ specific fees and required time window (24 hours or 48 hours notice) in your appointment reminder emails. Also, you can ask your therapist via the messaging portal or during your first session. If you can’t find it, we can always help.
If you have any questions about rescheduling and cancellations, this should first be directly communicated to your provider. Headway handles all of the billing, but you and your provider have complete control over your schedule working together. You can always message your provider from your Headway portal, here, or through whatever communication platform you both decide on. If you are not able to get in touch with them, you can alwayscontact us and we can help!
To update your personal information (name, pronouns, email, and phone number), you can head to your Headway account when logged in. Scroll down to “Personal Info” and choose “Edit”. Once you update the information, click “Save” and you are all set!
Headway can add your EAP sessions into the system for you! We will need you to reach out to your EAP program and obtain the following information in the form of a letter from their insurance company or a full-screen screenshot from your insurance portal. Typing the EAP details in the body of an email will not be accepted. Samples of acceptable documents can be found below, and must include the following:
- Authorization number
- Effective date
- Expiration date
- Valid sessions
Other information to send when reaching out, includes:
- EAP sponsor (if not clear in the letter)
- EAP Member ID if different from the primary ID (if encrypted / not visible on the letter)
- Number of sessions used, if any [For Cigna, if used sessions are with a different provider, a new authorization must be obtained]
We do not obtain EAP information as part of a general benefits verification. Therefore, the above information must be shared with Headway (either directly from you, or by way of your provider) ahead of time to ensure accurate billing.